Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Kicking cancer's ass - day 40

One of the arguments that my surgeon gave for wanting me to do neoadjuvant chemotherapy (chemo before surgery) is that this way they are able to actually see the cancer respond (hopefully!) to the chemo drugs.  If you have chemo after surgery, you are basically just hoping to zap any remaining random cancer cells in your body, without any visual evidence that this actually happens.  A lot of women have a problem with that because they just want the cancer OUT!  ASAP.  I can understand that to some extent, especially considering that I could feel the cancer in my body for two months before I even started treatment.  That's a horrible feeling, let me tell you.  However, I had no problem with doing chemo first.  It sort of gives me the power to say "DIE, CANCER, DIE!!!!!!"

Today, a few days before chemo #4, I am happy to say that my tumor has shrunk.  A lot.  Is it still there?  Yep.  But it's in its withering, dying, crushed-under-the-falling-house, last gasping breath days.  I feel that with every bone in my body.  I can still feel a lump.  Of course I can.  It was huge to begin with.  But where before it was a multi-headed, snarling, growing monster spreading its poison everywhere, now it is a cold, black lump of coal shrinking day by day.  I am almost halfway through chemo and I would judge that my cancer has been reduced by half.  Cool coincidence, huh?

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh that makes me so happy!