Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Saturday, November 2, 2013

kicking cancer's ass - day 66


Today marks the end of an era.  It was J's last youth football game ever, as next year he'll play for the school in seventh grade.  It was also Hubby's last opportunity to coach J in a sport.  They had a long (unfortunately unsuccessful) season, but I'm so proud of my guys for working so hard, right up until the end.  Hubby is great with the kids and I hope all of the boys at least take this much away from the season:  they might not have won, but they had a coach who cares, who enjoys being with them, and who truly loves the game.  

"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game." 

I'm so grateful that my son appreciates that sentiment.  He wants to win, and works hard toward that win, but also takes pride in a job well done, regardless of the end result.  The boys who stuck it out all the way to the end of the season are to be commended for their loyalty to the team.  It bothers me more than just a little that not all of them shared that sense of "team" (and it's beyond ridiculous that parents don't make their children honor their commitments).  What are you teaching your kids if you allow them to quit for no reason with only three, two or even one game left?  That only hurts the rest of their teammates who continue to work hard, and doesn't teach anything about responsibility.   The boys who are being taught to stick it out even realize that - as after the game they started naming the names of "the quitters".  

Ok, off my soapbox.  I know probably none of them will ever find their way to my blog, but I'd like to extend my thanks to the Bulldogs - the parents who hung around and supported the team (and who continue to pray for me and my family) and the players who continued to put their hearts into the game week in and week out.  I love football and that's one of the reasons!

No comments: