Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Monday, November 11, 2013

kicking cancer's ass - day 75

So.... if you read my blog yesterday, you've probably figured out that # 74 was a pretty sucky day for me.  My body hurt from head to toe.  I tried to explain it to Hubby, but it's hard to describe.  It's bone pain, and muscle pain, and an overall "achy" feeling kind of like the flu.  You name it, it hurts.  A lot.  My beloved (stupid) Cowboys forgot to show up in New Orleans.  I even wore my Cowboys socks all day - to no avail.  My fantasy football team is losing going into tonight's game - to my brother of all people!  On top of all of that wonderfulness, Hubby and our sweet little girl spent almost three hours at the walk-in clinic yesterday morning.  Diagnosis?  Strep for K.  Now I get to figure out how to take care of a sick little girl without getting too close so *I* don't get sick.  The doctor says no school for her until Thursday.

I guess I must complain more about my pain than I did about feeling sick.  During our conversation yesterday, my mother commented that "this one" (taxol) seems even worse than the other.  Not exactly.  It's like trying to compare apples and oranges.  They are both fruit, but totally different.  I've heard people say that taxol is "a breeze" after the red devil.  I wouldn't go that far.  There isn't any part of chemo that I'd say is a breeze.  With both chemo drugs I get several days (at least) of feeling lousy each time.  The adriamycin side effects would hit me within hours - with taxol, there's a delay of a day or two before I start feeling bad.  Adriamycin meant nausea.  Taxol means pain.  While neither one is fun, I'll take a few days of hurting over feeling pukey 24/7.  I don't enjoy hurting this much, but I enjoy feeling queasy even less.

What I really enjoy is feeling like myself.  So give me another day or two and I'll be back to my smiling, cheerful, upbeat self.  These dreadful side effects are only temporary, and I'll gladly endure them if it means the drugs are doing their job of kicking cancer's ass!


No comments: