Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 193

Trying to be healthy is no fun.

I know that having cancer means I need to be extra vigilant about how I treat my body and what I put in it.  Unfortunately that is easier said than done.  I love fruits and salads and grilled chicken.  I snack on almonds and apples.  But I also love chocolate and sweet tea and, well, most things sweet.  And did you notice how expensive it is to eat healthy?  Shopping in the produce, meat and dairy sections will rack up your grocery bill faster than the processed foods located in the middle of the stores.  It can be almost impossible to find affordable fresh fruit but the Easter candy is already out and on sale.

I know being active is key to a healthy lifestyle.  I love to walk, but here it is usually either too windy or too hot or too cold to enjoy a walk.  I love to play golf, but given my current limitations, that's obviously on the back burner for a while.  I force myself to ride my exercise bike almost every day because it's good exercise and it helps my restless legs syndrome.  Unfortunately I really hate exercise.  I don't think I'm lazy by nature, but I'm definitely not a fitness buff.  I'd much rather sit on my couch and read a book.

I have a friend (who also had BC) whose lifestyle is about a thousand percent healthier than mine.  She eats a mostly plant-based diet, juices, takes yoga and actually misses working out.  She buys all organic food and even makes her own lotions and laundry soap.  Maybe it's because I'm still in the middle of the treatment phase of cancer, but that just all seems so overwhelming!  I try to eat right (and make my family eat better, too).  I have never smoked, rarely drink and I am getting exercise.  I buy organic milk, recycle cans and newspapers and even got my Hubby riding the bike.  Knowing I have a history with a disease that could kill me and could very likely come back makes me feel like what I'm doing isn't enough.  But most of the time I don't feel like I have the time, energy or willpower to be as healthy and "green" as I want to be.

I think I have a box of Girl Scout cookies hidden somewhere....

No comments: