Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kicking cancer's ass - day 6

When life gives you lemons...make lemonade!  Or in my case, lemonade ice cubes!  Thanks to my buddy K, I am as we speak freezing lemonade into tiny ice cubes in hopes of finding something that will taste good and keep me hydrated.  In the few short days since my first chemo, my taste buds have gone on a riot and none of my favorite drinks taste good anymore.  Boo!!!  Even on these hot, late summer Texas days, water isn't refreshing in the least.  Ick.  Oh well, try and try again!

Did I mention that a cancer diagnosis immediately results in insomnia?  No?  Honest, it does.  It's like a little switch goes off - you find out you have cancer and you no longer sleep at night.  I have always slept really, really well.  Before d-day, I could sleep anywhere, anytime.  I could fall asleep within minutes most nights.  No longer.  Last night I was awake.  Not upset.  Not hurting.  Not sick.  Just... awake.  Listening to hubby snore.  And the cat whine.

One of the downsides to NOT needing your anti-nausea medicine after chemo is that you no longer have the added "help" of the drowsy side-effects.  Am I tired?  Yes.  Do I want to take a pill just to make me sleep?  No.  So I ended up with a restless night, and now it's a lazy Tuesday!  Oh well, there are worse things.

No comments: