Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 233

Today I had radiation session number nine.  That means I am more than 25% finished!  Crazy.  So far <knock on wood> radiation has been a non-event for me.  Aside from visiting the cancer center every morning and taking more naps than I've needed since chemo, life hasn't changed much.  I'm lucky that the radiation techs are extremely nice ladies who make the whole thing easy, because let's face it, who wants to go lay topless on a cold table while the radiation machine rotates around you every day?

One of the most difficult things for me as a cancer patient is trying to balance being healthy with being economical and living a "normal" life.  Let's face it, it's expensive trying to be healthy.  "Green" products and organic food are expensive!  I know to avoid deodorant with aluminum and have been slathering special lotion on my radiated skin three times a day.  I take a bunch of pills every day, most of which are supplements recommended for people with cancer.  I try to eat healthy and still haven't regained my taste for diet coke.  But I don't want to feel guilty for eating a cheeseburger or for not using the correct kind of make-up.  There are certainly choices I can make that will help keep me healthy, but there are also choices I make in order to keep being me, and the fine line between those two is where I find myself walking these days.

No comments: