Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 223

Today was my first of thirty-three radiation treatments.
It was quick and painless.  I have to lay with my arms up over my head, though, and they fell asleep after being in that position for only fifteen minutes.  Obviously I have to work on my range of motion!

In case you're curious, this is what the radiation machine looks like (I know my mom is curious and I couldn't think of how to describe it..... I told her it looked like a table with ear muffs!):


They took x-rays first to make sure I was all lined up correctly compared to the CT scan I had two weeks ago, and then this machine started moving all around me to send the radiation beams where they needed to go.  It was weird because there was a black square on the ceiling that I could sort of see my reflection in and all I could see were these red laser beams criss-crossing over me.  I sort of felt like James Bond.  Ha!  The radiation techs were both very nice ladies and made me feel comfortable, which I appreciate.

There are three major complaints about radiation.  The first one is fatigue.  I've been tired since d-day 223 days ago, so that one will be nothing new.  The second one is skin problems.  I am armed with vitamin E oil, Aloe and Miaderm (a lotion created specifically for radiation patients) and will try to be religious about taking care of the radiated parts.  Hopefully my skin will hold up, but it's not uncommon for redness and even blistering and peeling (kind of like a bad sunburn) to happen.  Last but not least, it's a pain in the ass to have to go EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  I will have 33 treatments, going every day Monday-Friday, so six and a half weeks of this.  The fun just keeps on coming!  

(It actually wasn't bad at all, but I can see myself getting tired of going there that much for the same old thing every day.  Thankfully it's only five minutes from my house.)  

Props to Hubby for tagging along for moral support.  He's my rock and he just keeps rolling with me.

No comments: