Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 224

So if you know me at all, you know I'm not really a spur of the moment kind of person.  I'm an OCD/type A/planner kind of person.  Last night, though, I made a spur of the moment decision.  When I was at the oncology center yesterday for my first radiation treatment, I saw a postcard for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.  Of course I'd heard of Relay for Life (there have been far too many people affected by cancer in my life!!!!) so I kind of knew what it was, but not really.  I grabbed the card and pulled up the web site when I got home to get the details.

The details are something like this:  people register for a team, and the teams raise money for the Amerian Cancer Society.  Then on the day of the Relay for Life, the teams gather at 6pm and walk all night long until 6am.  There is a Survivors Walk that starts the whole thing off, a Caregivers Walk and then the team members take turns walking throughout the night.  Something in me just said, "I want to do this!"  I asked Hubby what he thought and he said to go for it.  There are two little glitches in this plan.  First, the walk is two weeks from Friday.  That's not a lot of time to recruit team members who will take turns walking all night and not a lot of time to raise money!  Second, K has a softball game that night.  The second one should be a pretty easy fix since I'm the softball scheduler.  I've had to reschedule so many games for other teams for various reasons, I think I can be forgiven for rescheduling our own team's game for a cancer survivor's walk!  

As for the first glitch - I already have two other team members who have promised to walk (Hubby will be another after I get him on the computer to register!).  I set my fundraising goal at $1000.  I had no clue what to put, but that's what the American Cancer Society suggested to start with, so I went with it.  Not even 24 hours after I created and registered my team, A Beacon of Hope for Michelle has already raised over $600!  I keep telling you... I have the most AMAZING people in my life.

If you live in Abilene and want to join my team and walk with us, I'd be so honored.  If you can't walk but can donate, your support is very much appreciated.  Just visit my Relay for Life page for details.  If you want to walk, click on the "Join Our Team" button.  You will have to register with my team (it costs $10 and that goes toward your/our fundraising goal).  If you want to donate, all you have to do is click on the "Donate Now" button.  As J always says, easy peasy!

Thank you all for the love and support you have shown me for the more than two hundred days that I've been kicking cancer's ass.  Please join me (in walking or in spirit with a donation or both) on that special night April 25th as I celebrate being a survivor.  


Oh, one more thing.  Radiation treatment #2 of 33 in the books!

No comments: