Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 491


Today is January 1st.  2015.  Wow.  Where does the time go?  In a few days it will be the 15th anniversary of the day I "met" Hubby.     

This time last year I was getting ready for my mastectomy surgery.  I was only a few weeks out from chemotherapy, I was bald, exhausted and scared to death about what I still had to face.  Today I am still exhausted, but I'm hopeful that most of my breast cancer "journey" is behind me.  My body bears the evidence of the four surgeries I had last year.  I am forty-one years old and I'm in surgical menopause.  I carry the fear with me every day that cancer may return.  I'm still facing a surgery or two this year to complete my reconstruction, and my schedule of doctor appointments will still be busy.

Nothing about my life for the past five hundred days (give or take a week or two) has been easy.  I've been through hell and back, and my family has had my back every step of the way.  My kids are the most caring, resilient kids in the world.  They are understanding when I say "I can't do that today".  My teenager often asks me how I'm feeling, and K prays for me before we eat supper.  Hubby has been my rock, putting his own needs and issues aside so he can take care of me.  He is my best friend and I couldn't love him more.  

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions, because I know I most likely won't keep them.  I don't stick to a diet, I won't stay away from Facebook and I can't give up chocolate.  One thing I vow to do this year, starting today, is to be a better wife and mom.  I've been selfish (justifiably so - cancer patients have to be) for the last year and a half, and it's about time I focus more of my time and energy on the man I love and our beautiful children.  Every day with them is a gift, and I want them to know I appreciate each moment I have with them.

Hubby, J & K - you are my world.  Thank you for walking through the fire with me. 
Let's make 2015 the year we move past this cancer business and get back to living life!  

No comments: