Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 508

One of my Facebook Bellas posted something that really struck a chord with me.  She was having a hard time after a young woman she knew recently passed away from cancer.  She wrote:

"I don't feel like I'm surviving, I feel like I am just waiting for my turn - this is a horrible disease"

Even though I try not to dwell on my health, and sometimes I even manage to "forget" for a while, I do have moments where I feel exactly like that.  I know that there are a lot of people who beat cancer and go on to live for a long, long time.  But I also know there are many who aren't so lucky.

There are days when I feel lousy or I'm completely exhausted and it's just really difficult to stay positive.  I had an aggressive form of breast cancer that had already spread to multiple lymph nodes.  I also carry the gene mutation for breast cancer.  Those two things aren't exactly encouraging.  There are other days, though, where I feel like the past eighteen months can't possibly have happened to me.  It's still surreal, even after everything I've gone through.

I truly believe that "surviving" isn't just something we do, it's something we must choose to do.  I can't control whether or not I ever get cancer again.  I can control the choices I make, though, and I try every day to be healthier, stronger, happier and more positive.  That's not just surviving, that's living!

No comments: