Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 160

Today, February 4, 2014, is World Cancer Day.  It is a day to give your support to those affected by cancer (not only the patients, but their caregivers, because they truly give SO MUCH).  It is a day to raise awareness of not only what cancer is, but who it affects, and how it affects them.  It is also a day to celebrate survivors - those who have won and those who are still fighting, and to mourn those who we've lost.

*Both of my grandmothers died from the same cancer I have.
*A friend's little girl overcame a rare cancer diagnosis at 3 months old.  She's now 9 years old and thriving.
*Another friend's son (same age as my J) beat thyroid cancer.
*My BFF's mom is a breast cancer survivor.
*Hubby's mom beat breast cancer 14 years ago, only to succumb to bone cancer three years ago.
*My sister-in-law is a breast cancer survivor.
*My BFF had cervical cancer and is a breast cancer survivor.
*My friend's husband is a colon cancer survivor
*That same friend's young grandson is fighting cancer.
*My sweet friend A has fought ovarian cancer for seven years and now has a hospice nurse.
*A friend's daughter (same age as K) is undergoing cancer treatments now.

I am a breast cancer survivor.

I don't ever want to be that person - the one always on her soapbox about her "cause".  Yes, I have cancer, it has changed me and it will affect me for the rest of my life.  Knowledge is power, and I have done my research on the type of cancer I have as well as the treatments I've been given.  I am more than happy to share what I've learned if it will help someone else, because you can't possibly understand what kind of deep, dark hole a cancer diagnosis throws you into unless you've been there.  I've been helped so much by other survivors who have paid it forward and shared their experiences.  I'm glad that the world, the WORLD, is joining together today to acknowledge that something needs to be done about this monstrous disease besides pretty pink or purple ribbons and 5K runs.

I refuse to allow cancer to rule my life.  I may have to wait a while before my hair grows back or I can swing a golf club again, but I'm still me.  I'm still the girl who calls herself a girl even though she's over the 40 hill.  I still love to read and listen to my music loud in the car and blow kisses to my girl when she walks into school.  I still tease my hubby about being grumpy and yell at the cat for her constant meowing and look forward to the Olympics like a kid at Christmas.  I'm a New Yorker at  heart, a Texan by choice and a beach bum in my dreams.  Despite the pills, the appointments, the tests, the bills, the pain and the fatigue, I'm taking each day as it comes and not letting cancer win.  Yes, I'm a survivor.

1 comment:

Wright Family said...

You are so great, Michelle. Thanks for remembering Henry on this day. It is humbling to see and realize how many people cancer touches. I still pray for you every day! Love, Rhonda