Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 139

It's so easy to take for granted being self-sufficient.  I am forty years old and have been taking care of myself for a long time.  I've been taking care of my family since 2001.  It's very frustrating when you are used to doing things for yourself and all of the sudden you can't even pour a glass of iced tea or push a shopping cart in the grocery store.  However, it's gratifying when you do start making strides towards self-sufficiency again, no matter how small.

I've figured out how to shower on my own.  The plastic surgeon told me 48 hours after surgery I could shower as long as I didn't get my drains and incisions soaked.  The first few times I tried just standing and using the hand-held shower head but I'd end up freezing while this little trickle of water landed where I directed it.  I gave up on that and started taking baths, but it's hard to get up from the tub without using my arms!  Yesterday I discovered that I could hook the hand-held shower head in the shower caddy and point it down.... that way I can keep my legs in the spray the whole time (and not freeze) and have my hands free to carefully wash the rest of me.  See?  Baby steps.

Anyway, it may take me twelve hours, but it's so nice to be able to get 100% ready on my own.  Hubby joked last night and said I just thought it took me a long time to get ready before when I had to do my hair every day.  No kidding.



Out of the mouths of babes.... last night after watching Hotel Transylvania with the kids, Hubby and I went in the bathroom to change the dressings over my drain sites.  When we eventually came out, K looked at me and said, "How long does it take to change a bandage anyway?"   
Exactly.  Welcome to my world.

No comments: