Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 132


This was my view for most of the afternoon.  I've discovered that recuperating from surgery is a lot like living the life of a cat.  I just sit around sleeping a lot and waiting for someone to feed me.  After four months of chemo and then this surgery, I understand more than ever the saying "weak as a newborn kitten".  My stamina is completely shot and just taking a shower and getting dressed completely wears me out.

When I thought about having surgery for breast cancer, I really thought the worst part would be the pain or discomfort, or dealing with the drains like so many people complain about.  None of that is fun, but one of my biggest issues is how weak and shaky I am.  There's a fine line between being up & about to build your strength and being up & about and doing too much.  I want to heal well so I'm trying not to do too much too soon, but it's a tough pill to swallow when even the simplest of tasks make me feel like I could pass out.

I want to send a huge shout of appreciation out to my mom.  Grammie is here for two weeks to be with me and help with the kids.  Hubby is fantastic at taking care of me - I couldn't ask for a better partner.  Having Grammie here, though, means he can go to work while Grammie takes up the slack here.  She has been wonderful, making sure I have everything I need, getting the kids up & ready for school and doing all of my usual "mom" duties to keep my house running smoothly.  I'm so grateful to have her here with us.

No comments: