Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The game we love to hate

Today my family decided to go out on a golf date.  With someone who hasn't played in a couple of years, a third-grader and a little girl who just wants to pick flowers, perhaps we were not your average golf foursome. 

As we all know... golf is a puzzle without an answer.  Gary Player

I wish I had thought to bring my camera along, because it was one of those moments in time that you want to remember.  With work and school and sports and everything else, taking a few hours to just enjoy doing something together is a rare occurrence.  My hubby hasn't been able to play golf for a long time due to back problems.  Even before that he quit enjoying it - he says his golf game went downhill when he got married.  Being the martyr that I am, I'll be a sport and take the blame.    

Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child.  Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five.   John Updike

I have been playing golf for about fifteen years.  I am marginally better than I was when I started.  Sometimes I have a round that even impresses me.  Other times, like today, I have several really nice shots and then a bunch of lousy ones that ruin my score.  To me, though, it doesn't matter.  Even when I'm not playing well, I'm just happy to be playing.  I was so happy when J told us he wanted to learn to play.  His first couple of seasons were interesting.  Partly because there is very little natural athletic ability in our family and partly because he was a little boy with no attention span, focusing enough to actually learn to play has been difficult.  

All I've got against golf is it takes you so far from the clubhouse.  Eric Linklater

The last few times we've played, though, J has done so well.  Some of our instructions might actually be sinking in, because when he actually slows down & pays attention, he can really smack the ball!  He gets mad when he doesn't strike it straight & true every time.  Don't we all.  

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game:  it's called an eraser.  Arnold Palmer

As much as I enjoy bringing my son along for a game, I was so happy to have my usual golf partner back today.  He won't want me saying so, but ever since I had a lower score than him, hubby's desire to play golf has been non-existent.  The back/shoulder thing is a legitimate (but also convenient?) excuse!  He is a good golfer, but he also has a bad golf temper.  If he's not playing well, he's not having fun.  He's even been known to throw a club or two.    

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them.  Golf is more complicated than that.  Gardner Dickinson

I come by my golf desire naturally.  My dad is a spry 70 and beats me every time.  My brother plays as often as he's able.  My mother says she has no hidden golf athlete inside her, but she loves to watch it.  I know people, however, who think golf is the most boring sport you could ever consider playing.  People who don't play golf really don't understand.  What I've noticed is that you either love it, hate it, or have no interest in trying.  There is no "lukewarm" in golf.  Next weekend when the Masters is on you will find me glued to my tv (or at least the leaderboard online).  The NCAA basketball final four?  <yawn>  As they say... different strokes for different folks.       

Golf combines two favorite American pastimes:  taking long walks and hitting things with a stick.  P.J. O'Rourke

This morning on the course, the sun was shining, the wind was really blowing and the golf gods were sort of smiling.  We had a fantastic time. 

No comments: