Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Monday, April 11, 2011

I do not have OCD

If you know me,  you might try to argue that statement.  I am very particular about most things.  Very.  I am a perfectionist.  I like order.  I like everything to be a certain way.  Chaos is my enemy.  However, while doing a little research for this post, I realized I do not suffer from OCD.  According to Wikipedia, this is the definition:

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). 

I am a worrier, but the "repetitive behaviors" thing does not apply to me at all.  You've all heard about people who wash their hands two hundred times a day or someone needing to open & close a door four times before they'll walk through.  That is NOT me.  Following a link from that Wikipedia definition, I came across this:

Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a personality disorder which is characterized by a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency.  People with OCPD may feel anxious when they perceive that things are not right. This can lead to routines and rules for ways of doing things.

Anytime "personality disorder" is mentioned it tends to make people uncomfortable.  Who wants to admit there is something wrong with their personality?  This definition is much more my style, though.  Orderliness?  Perfectionism?  Routines and rules for ways of doing things?  That's right up my alley.

I think there is a little bit of obsessive-compulsive in everyone.  Even my husband, who is a very laid-back, low-key guy, has a few "quirks" (which I'm revealing at the risk of incurring his wrath!)  such as being unable to sit with his back to a room or needing to sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door.  Just last night I learned that he has to sleep with the opening of the pillowcase toward the inside of the bed.  I've been oblivious to that one for ten years!  A friend of mine pretty much lives her life in chaos, and yet her linen closet is immaculate - everything folded a certain way, items grouped together and even color-coordinated.  Admittedly I have more than a few quirks.  I'm not ashamed to admit that everything has its place and I like that.  My husband has learned to let me load the dishwasher because I'll end up rearranging it anyway (and I can fit more dishes!).  I have a huge pile of books waiting to be read (ok... shelves of them) and they are all alphabetized by author.  OCPD?  You bet!

So what quirks do you have?

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh Michelle, that describes me too...I have SO many little quirks!!