Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

So much for modern technology

    If golf is the game people love to hate, then a computer must be the technology that we love to hate. 

    Technology and computers are fantastic...when they are working properly.  Anyone who is familiar with the "blue screen of death", however, knows that computers are often NOT working properly!  Recently we added two new laptops to our household.  Hubby's old laptop was dying a slow death and he got tired of it shutting down in the middle of a session or having it open up twenty internet windows for no reason.  Thanks to a nice tax return from Uncle Sam, we decided to upgrade my computer from a netbook (that I love) to a bigger laptop.  Thanks to these new additions, I decided to test my brilliance out on creating a home network.  I got a little ahead of myself when I thought I had successfully completed this mission.  All of the computers were set up for file sharing (including our desktop) and our wireless network was secure.  Everything was peachy... for a day.

    After resetting the network settings on the pc for the tenth time,  I decided to do a little testing yesterday and got way more than I bargained for.  Everything stopped working.  Obviously I'm not as computer savvy as I thought.  Huh.  I decided to do a complete system recovery - basically wiping everything from the computer and starting from scratch.  Unfortunately even THAT crashed and now the only thing I can get on the screen is an error saying that one of my windows .dll files is missing or corrupt. 

    This is WAY beyond my expertise. The computer is almost nine years old, which equals about a thousand in computer years.  I'm thinking it might be time to send it to the technological graveyard.  It's definitely not worth all of this time and frustration, just so J can watch YouTube videos!

    Since I was up half of the night with a sick child, I'm probably not in the best frame of mind to tackle anything remotely this complicated.  I think I'll go watch Tangled with my daughter instead.

    Happy computing!

No comments: