Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

I'm thinking glass half full...

If you're reading this and you know me, you've already heard me bemoan the wind.  If you don't know me and you're reading this, let me tell you that I HATE WIND.  There is not a big enough, bold enough font to emphasize that.  I've decided, though, that there is one saving grace about this crazy west Texas weather - you will never ever be bored.  Just when you are lulled into a (false) sense of complacency, Mother Nature's gigantic curveball hits you right between the eyes.

To put this in perspective, let's talk baseball.  Last weekend we had a t-ball game Friday night and a baseball game Saturday afternoon.  It was hot.  Blistering hot.  I'm talking 99 degrees in early April hot.  The kind of hot where being in the shade really makes no difference.  The sun was so hot that you couldn't risk sitting on the metal bleachers in the sun and the sno-cones were melting faster than the kids could eat them.

Fast forward a week.  You know when there is an "Airport weather advisory" from the National Weather Service, it's not going to be a pleasant evening.  Both kids had a game last night at 6pm.  Our skies were an ugly brownish-gray color all day - both from the dust swirling in the 40+mph winds as well as smoke traveling hundreds of miles from the wildfires all over west Texas.  Not only was it extremely windy and dry (6% humidity today) but a cold front moved in.  The sweltering heat of last weekend was a distant memory.  Last night we were breaking out the jackets and blankets that we thought were safely packed away until football season. 

See?  How can you be bored with that?  Whether you love the heat or loathe the wind or abhor the cold, the ever-changing weather in west Texas certainly keeps you on your toes!

No comments: