Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Do you have willpower?

Lately it seems I am surrounded by people trying to "do without" for whatever reason.  My BFF recently started counting calories, even though she runs a gazillion miles a day and wears a size -2.  Last month our church was encouraging us to fast for 21 days.  Obviously they don't want you to starve for three weeks, but "fasting" in their opinion can mean anything:  giving up one meal a day, sweets, junk food, etc.  Another of my friends decided to "fast" from television.  As you all know, the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday is Lent.  For as long as I can remember, my mother has given up chocolate for Lent.  Pure insanity, and yet she continues to do it.  We talked about it recently and she said she'll stop when she's 65.  I told her she will have earned her retirement from Lent.

What would be a challenge for you to give up?  I like to think I don't have an addictive personality, but there are certain things that I MUST have.  I did not inherit the "give up chocolate" gene from my mom.  I don't sit and scarf down boxes of candy bars every day, but I do need a little taste now & then.  Diet Coke is a must for me.  McDonald's Diet Coke in the large styrofoam cup with lots of ice = perfection!  What do I spend most of my time doing?  Reading books or hanging out online.  Could I give up either one?  Maybe under the threat of death!  After all, the internet is what keeps me in touch with friends and family since almost none of them live near me!  And what would I do if I couldn't read?  There are a handful of tv shows that I like to watch, so once that was done, where would that leave me?  I might actually have to do something productive like CLEAN!  Or entertain my children.  Willpower is highly overrated! 

No comments: