Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1521

October 29 - Between the years of 2006 to 2012 the overall 5 year survival rate for ALL breast cancer patients is 89.7% according to the SEER database.


Survival rates can be confusing.  Not only do they take into account the varying stages of cancer at diagnosis, but also the grade, the hormone receptor status, and the patient's age at diagnosis.  

To break it down as simply as possible, here's a look at the current 5 year survival rate by stage at diagnosis:

Stage of breast cancer
Stage 0 100%  5 year survival rate
Stage I 100%  5 year survival rate
Stage II Around 93%  5 year survival rate
Stage III Around 72%  5 year survival rate
Stage IV 22%  5 year survival rate

Keep in mind that aside from all of the factors mentioned above, cancer is a very individualized disease.  One person who is diagnosed at Stage III may live much longer than someone diagnosed with Stage I.  And with treatments ever changing and improving, survival rates will continue to improve.

That's good news for me, because I'm not too fond of the 72% Stage III survival rate.  Actually, I'm not overly fond of the 5 year rate theory at all.... because who has a goal of only living five more years?  I was 40 years old when I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I'm sorry, but I'm planning to live to be much older than 45!  



With that being said, five years seems to be the magic number.  Even though anyone with cancer has goals beyond five years, meeting that goal is a big deal.  275 more days to go for me!


No comments: