Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1495


October 3 - About 5 to 10 percent of breast cancers can be traced to specific, inherited gene mutations, such as the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations.

So... on the flip side of what I posted yesterday, there IS an increased risk of breast cancer if you have family history of the disease.  Not only that, there are genetic mutations that can cause breast cancer and those are hereditary.

This is where I come in.  Even though I don't feel very youthful, I am relatively young in the world of breast cancer.  (One step into the waiting room at my local oncology center proves that.)  To be diagnosed with Stage III cancer at age 40 is unusual.  So in addition to my gynecologist, my oncologist and my surgical oncologist, I immediately picked up two more appointments.  First stop was the genetic counselor, who highly recommended genetic testing.  A young-ish woman having breast cancer isn't always caused by genes, but age is a deciding factor in when genetic testing is done. 

It's no surprise that my test results came back positive.  Both of my grandmothers had breast cancer.  I carry the BRCA2 gene mutation, which doctors blame for my cancer.  Because of the positive genetic test, I was then referred to a gynecological oncologist.  Why?  The BRCA2 gene mutation means I have a much higher risk of ovarian cancer than the average woman.  Not only that, but my risk for other cancers is higher as well.

Since both of my grandmothers had breast cancer, we weren't sure which side of my family it came from.  My mother was tested.... and it was negative.  (Ironic since she was diagnosed with colon cancer a year later). 

My mom's test being negative means the gene mutation is carried on my dad's side of the family.  Which makes sense.  One of the incresed risks with BRCA2 is prostate cancer.  My dad's dad had prostate cancer.  My dad's brother had prostate cancer.  My dad has prostate issues. 

What does all this mean?  I had a complete hysterectomy (which put me into immediate surgical menopause thank you very much) to eliminate any possibility of ovarian cancer picking me.  I now see another doctor who will monitor me for pancreatic cancer.  And my family members had to be notified in case they wanted to be tested.  My dad has a sister with four daughters.  I have a brother.  I have two children.  All of them have a 50% chance of carrying the BRCA2 gene mutation, same as me.

My children will be tested when they turn 18.  A positive result doesn't mean a cancer diagnosis.  It just means we know to be vigilant to stay ahead of the game.




No comments: