Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 379

Last night I felt like I was jumping out of my skin.  At the close of the business day the plan was to transfer my dad this morning to a short-term rehab facility that nobody had even visited, and it was over an hour from his home.  This morning when I got to work I had an email waiting for me from the admissions department of the facility we wanted him to go to.  She said that they were offering a bed for my dad, pending insurance authorization.  I replied to her saying that her email was a ray of sunshine after a dark, dark night.

They transported my dad this afternoon and he is settled in at a wonderful place.  He has his own room with a big window he can see out from his bed.  He will go to the dining room to eat every meal and the doctor and therapists all took a lot of time to meet with him and go over what he can expect and to talk about how much progress he has made since his stroke.

We now have the daunting task of trying to apply for Medicaid so his long-term care will be covered financially, which will require tons of paperwork and a lot of luck.  We need years of tax returns and income statements, military discharge papers and documentation of any transfers of assets.  We don't even know where his birth certificate is!  One step at a time... one day at a time.  The important thing is that Dad is where we want him to be to get the best care.  I hope and pray he has a restful night in his new home away from home.

Tonight my family spent the evening at the fair.  I love the fair.  It's dirty and expensive and the rides are scarily unstable and the food is horrible for you.... but it's so much fun.  We ate, the kids rode rides and played some games and we finished the evening off sharing a funnel cake.  Good times after a stressful few days.



As always, I want to take time to reflect back on this day thirteen years ago.  I was pregnant with my first child and was awakened by a phone call from my mom, telling me to turn on my tv.  She said a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center.  I sat glued to my tv the rest of the day, watching in horror as our nation was brutally attacked and precious lives were lost.  God bless America.


No comments: