Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 388

Today I did NOT have a fun travel day.
I should have known it was going to be bad when we couldn't even board in Abilene because of a "slight maintenance issue". That was resolved and we got on the plane, only to sit there waiting for more fuel because we were being "re-routed" and needed more fuel. Last I checked the route from Abilene to Dallas was pretty much straight west to east, but whatever.  Then we had to wait to take off because there was too much air traffic at DFW. My flight finally left Abilene five minutes after I was supposed to land in Dallas. 

I knew I had already missed my connecting flight to Philly, so I hopped on Skylink to the next terminal to get to customer assistance.  She issued me new boarding passes (through DC now) and I had an hour until boarding.  I had to get back on Skylink to go from terminal D back to Terminal C for my flight.  Or so I thought.  After sitting at that gate for a while, they announced that my flight to DC would actually be leaving from gate D40.  Are you kidding me?  I just left there!!!!  Back on Skylink yet again (J would have been in his glory) to Terminal D, only to find out that our aircraft came in from Mexico and needed a thorough security inspection before we could begin boarding.  Nice.  I'm all for security, but I'd already missed one connection and had been traveling for five hours and hadn't even made it out of Texas yet!!

We ended up leaving 40 minutes late, which didn't bode well for my connection in DC.  We were scheduled to arrive at 8:06 and my next flight was at 8:25.  Thankfully the pilot announced that five of us were trying to make tight (understatement) connections so he asked everyone to remain seated until we exited the plane.  Then the fun really began. If you know me, you know I hate to run.  Like hate it with a passion and only do it if something is chasing me.  So after two flights, lugging a tote bag and suitcase and running (literally) on an empty stomach, hoofing it to the next terminal was not enjoyable at all.  To make matters worse, you have to go through security all over again. WTH????  Here I am, running through the airport praying my flight didn't leave, and I have to take my shoes off and present my liquids all over again?????  I took off without even tying my shoes and was so incredibly relieved when I saw the jetway door open at gate C39. 

Someone must have called ahead because they were very obviously holding the plane.  I felt like royalty.

So after all that, with my change of itinerary, I ended up landing in Albany 30 minutes earlier than I would have originally. Here's where you say "All's well that ends well", but man, what a day!

Tomorrow I get to see my dad, and hopefully make some headway on his paperwork. No rest for the weary!

No comments: