Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 329

Yesterday I had an appointment with Dr H (my medical oncologist).  
I learned three things:

  1. Our wait time to see him is still ridiculous.  One hour and forty-five minutes in the waiting room, then ten minutes in the exam room.  All for a ten minute check up.
  2. My platelets are low.  (Does anyone know what that means?  I don't.)
  3. I will not have any "routine" scans unless I become symptomatic or my labs indicate something concerning.  If I really, really need reassurance, then he wouldn't be opposed to ordering a CT scan, but he sees no need right now.  
The wait time really sucks.  Every time we see him, it's the same thing.  My mid-afternoon appointment ends up with us basically closing the place down.  You know you've been there a long time when the pharmacy closes and even the receptionist leaves before you're even called back to a room.  I've been contemplating finding a new medical oncologist.  Two problems.  If I switch to another oncologist that comes highly recommended, they'd be in the same practice as Dr H.  Awkward.  If I choose to go with a medical oncologist at the same facility in Dallas where my other doctors are, I will have a three hour drive for each appointment.  Plus I wouldn't have anyone local.  If, God forbid, something were to happen where I needed further treatment, I would have to go back to the drawing board and start anew with finding someone here.  Decisions, decisions.

Platelets shmatelets.

I'm not sure how I feel about the no scans thing.  I get it.  Why go through unnecessary tests?  Why give my body even more radiation than it's already had?  Scans are time-consuming and expensive.  If I look healthy, feel healthy and my bloodwork says I'm healthy, then why borrow trouble?  On the other hand, I want to dance with NED.  It would be really, really nice to have a doctor say "there is no evidence of disease."  

For now, I'll just dance with NED on the sly.  

No comments: