Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 407

Today Hubby and I are in Dallas for a three month check up with Dr L, my breast surgeon. I'm not having any serious problems so I am expecting this to be an uneventful (but probably lengthy) appointment.

What's on my mind today isn't my appointment with the surgeon but my mom's appointment with a surgeon.

I've been reluctant to write this post. I don't know if I just haven't been ready to put it "on paper" so to speak, or maybe I'm just hesitant to shout my mom's news out to the world.  My mom has cancer.  That's the bad news (and it's really lousy news, especially on the heels of my dad's heart attack and stroke two months ago, on top of the lousy last fifteen months I've had).  The good news is that the cancer is contained to the one mass in her colon, so hopefully she will only need surgery and be good as new.

Mom, if you're reading this and uncomfortable with me sharing your own journey along with mine, know that I only do so because you're so close to my heart. I have a lot of people who pray for me, and I figure you'll take all the prayers you can get.

Want to know something bizarre? I have said all along that while I love my BFF, I really could have done without being exactly like her (same exact cancer diagnosis at almost the same age  ).  Here's the kicker:  my BFF's mom had cancer, too.  Mom and I are just doing it in reverse order. 

Hey Trude - why don't you win the lottery or something like that??  I'd much rather shadow you on THAT journey!

No comments: