Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 600

I don't really have anything to say. But today is day 600 so I figured I needed to post something, because that's a lot of days to do anything - it's especially a lot of days to spend fighting cancer.

I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. I don't have very many "woe is me" moments, but this latest surgery has knocked me down farther than I expected.  It was, in the words of my brilliant plastic surgeon, a "quick outpatient revision surgery".  Ha.  The operation itself may have been quick, but there's nothing quick about the recovery.  Since I've never had liposuction before, I started looking stuff up online to see what it says about recovery. One site says most people can return to work the next day. Obviously I am not "most people".  Taking a shower wears me out, and you want me to work? Another site says that most people describe it as looking and feeling like you've taken a severe beating.  Yep. That about sums it up.

I am bruised. The outsides of my thighs are black. Not black and blue. Just black. I have bruises down my sides and across my stomach. And liposuction doesn't make you thinner. At least not right away. It makes you swollen!  As bad as it looks now, that's how much it hurt over the weekend.  The soreness has eased up a lot, so I'm able to move around a lot better. I even shaved my legs in the shower today - go me!  However I wouldn't go so far as to say I am feeling good. I've been running a low grade temp for the last two days, and everyone knows a fever for whatever reason makes you feel like crud.  On top of that, I keep getting a nagging headache. The places where Dr T injected fat to even out my chest are sore and swollen. My poor pain pills don't know which part of me to fix first!

I have to wear a compression garment, which is basically like a girdle from my chest to my calf, and going to the bathroom is a monumental task when you have to struggle in and out of this contraption.

I feel like a wimp. This surgery, compared to some of the others I've had, is really relatively minor.  I guess the cumulative total of five surgeries in a year and a half, plus chemo and radiation, just really takes a toll.

Sometimes being a champion cancer patient is hard work.

No comments: