Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Friday, April 17, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 596

I had surgery today. My plastic surgeon wanted to even things out from my reconstruction, so he did a bunch of fat grafting and lipo.

His office told me that my surgery would be at noon, but the hospital called yesterday and said we had to be there at 7:30am. Needless to say, after work we immediately packed, dropped the kids off with their Peepaw and headed east. We had a nice dinner date at Cheesecake Factory in Dallas before we checked into our hotel.  We even brought dessert back to our room - yum!

I'm glad we ended up going last night and didn't have to get up early and drive this morning before my surgery.

Things didn't start out so good when it took three tries to get an IV in. That never happens to me - usually they get it in one stick. The hospital we were at is brand new - as in only open for a week! Everything was sparkling clean and modern. I had great nurses and anesthesiologists, and of course I love Dr T.  He always draws on me with a Sharpie ( to mark the areas for surgery) and he was in hog heaven with a 20-pack of different colors to choose from!!

Thanks to the IV episode my surgery started a little late, but it was only supposed to last an hour or two so it was not a big deal.

While he was marking me I told Dr T to do lipo wherever he wanted LOL. I don't know if he did enough to actually make a difference, but I hope so since I've gained a ton of weight. Being surgically thrown into menopause and the estrogen blocker I'm on keep packing the pounds on. I hate it.

I am going to be bruised everywhere from the lipo. I have marks on my arm and hand from the IV and already my torso is black and blue.   The three hour ride home wasn't uncomfortable, but we did get caught in a massive hailstorm. I haven't worked up the courage to go inspect my car for damage. 

I'm incredibly sore tonight and the compression pants I'm wearing literally take my breath away. But this is just one more step in this long process.  I'll probably have another surgery identical to this in a few months and then, other than routine tests and appointments, I will hopefully be finished!

On a side note, my mom has reached double digits in chemo treatments - only three to go!  Unfortunately, because chemo effects are cumulative, it's getting harder and harder for her. She's been home from work since her treatment Tuesday and having a hard time with neuropathy, stomach upset and fatigue.  All par for the course, but no fun for her. Please keep her in your prayers. You got this Mom...I love you!

No comments: