Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Pet Peeves

Advertisements for "plus sized" clothing featuring models who are skinnier than I am!  I wear a size 8 or 10, which is not even close to being plus sized, and yet I am heftier than any of the models displaying these clothes!

Speaking of clothes... why are sizes so un-universal?  It's the worst with kids clothes.  My 5 year-old daughter needs size 8 or even 10 shirts.  Really?  I know she's above average in height & weight, but she's not fat, huge, gigantic or plus sized.  How can she possibly wear the same size as her 9 year old brother?  And my clothes are no better.  Most of my jeans are size 8, my shorts are either 8 or 10, and yet today I am comfortably wearing a size 12 pair of shorts.  Huh?

Other drivers.  If you've ever been in front of me going slow, behind me tailgating, next to me in my blind spot, putting your blinker on at the last minute or, better yet, WHILE you are turning, pulling out in front of me when there is not another car for miles behind me, I apologize for any rude thoughts, words or gestures.  But I honestly can't stand people who don't follow the rules of the road, both the spoken AND unspoken.

The silent treatment.  If you have a problem with me, or just a problem in general, don't sit and stew in silence or give me a cold shoulder.  Tell me what's wrong.

Bad editing in books is the worst.  I am not a writer, and I wasn't an English major in college, but even I know the difference between "there" and "their".  Or halfway through a book when an author uses the wrong name for a character.  Or a baby who reaches age 5 in about three years.  Really?  They didn't catch it, none of their editors and/or proofreaders didn't catch that?  

Hotel rooms.  No matter how nice the hotel is, I still get grossed out.  I don't really think I'm crazy about germs or anything like that, but sleeping in a bed thousands of other people have slept in?  Walking around on that dingy carpet (or better yet, my children LAYING on it?)??  The hotel pool?  Gross.  Not good thoughts when I'm about to embark on a cross-country drive with my children, staying in hotels and a beach condo along the way.

If you are a salesperson, I give you a lot of credit, because frankly it is the most annoying profession ever.  The people working the kiosks in the mall?  LEAVE ME ALONE!  I don't want you to straighten my hair, I don't want to try some lotion, I don't need new cell service.  If I did, I would come to your booth and express an interest.  Since I didn't, I'm obviously not interested!

Off my soapbox now.

1 comment:

Wright Family said...

You are awesome Michelle. I love reading your blog posts. As a fellow book lover, I especially agree with the editing of published books. It's really distracting to me.