Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Men!

Most of the time, when a woman exclaims the word  "men", it is tinged with negative connotations.  Today I use the word in the most positive of ways.  I am blessed to have wonderful men in my family.  My son is one of the lights of my life.  He is so smart and funny and inquisitive and loving.  He is all 9 year-old boy wrapped up in a handsome package.  My brother is one of my best friends.  We share a love of family, a love of football and a love of golf.  He is a shining presence in my and my children's lives.  My father-in-law (Peepaw) is a quiet soul, a hard worker and a joy for my kids to be around.  He lost his wife this past winter and my heart aches that this wonderful man will spend his remaining years without that companionship.  He is strong, though, and continuing on in his life, trying to enjoy every day.  The two men I want to honor most today, though, are my husband and my father.

My dad is such a kind, steady, rock of a man.  Very little ruffles him (why couldn't I have gotten that from him?).  He is strong in his faith, loyal to his friends and playful with his grandchildren.  He is 70 going on 50.  He is very active in his church, bowls twice a week and plays golf regularly (and beats me almost every time!).  "They" always say that a girl looks to her daddy for the kind of man she will fall in love with.  I will agree with that to an extent.  My hubby is also a kind, steady rock of a man.  He is the even keel to my over-sensitive Type A personality.  He is a hard worker, a loving family man who always puts his wife and children first.  I wish I could hand him the whole world on a platter this Father's Day for being such a good, good man.  Since that would be impossible, he'll have to settle for a "Big Comfort" camp chair, some t-shirts and a new bathing suit.  Let's not forget the homemade brisket (my first) that turned out better than either of us anticipated!

Happy Father's Day out there to all of the terrific men in the world who grow up hearing the word "Daddy".

No comments: