Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I want to lobby for moms to get sick time!

It's bad enough we don't get paid for the gazillions of tasks we do every day, but what makes it worse is the fact that moms do not get sick days.  Ever.  In fact, it seems like whenever we are sick, everyone becomes even more needy!

I have been fighting off a summer cold for several days.  So far I've managed to keep it contained to a bad sore throat and a sinus headache.  Last night I bit the bullet and took Nyquil before bed in hopes of getting a good night's sleep.  Wouldn't you know that would be the night that BOTH of my kids would wake me up for something or another during the night? 

My kids are generally not good sleepers, but now, finally, at the ages of 9 and 5, they pretty much sleep all night (at least until the crack of dawn).  Every once in a while one of them (usually the 5 yr old) will come in for something in the middle of the night.  She hasn't done it recently, though, until last night.  What was her problem?  Sore throat.  (Have I mentioned that she's a sympathy-sickie and also a hypochondriac?)  What was her brother's problem?  He stepped on a sticker the other day and the bottom of his foot was "really, really, really itchy".  Did I want to deal with either of those things while I was half asleep and drugged up on nasty-tasting cherry Nyquil?  Not at all.  Of course they never, ever go to the dad's side of the bed.

<yawn>

No comments: