Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 847


I am so thankful to be spending another Christmas, happy and healthy, with the people most important to me.  Every holiday, every birthday, every day after cancer is a milestone, and I don't take any of it for granted.

To my Hubby:
You are my true north.  In a couple of weeks we'll have reached sixteen years since we logged on and said hello for the first time.  I've never been so grateful for anything in my life as I am for the night I "met" you.  You have changed my life for the better.  You have given me children who mean the world to me.  Your family has become my family.  You are my rock, my sounding board, my shoulder to cry on, the one person I can count on no matter what.  You make me laugh every day.  Your hugs make everything better.  Your steady support has gotten me through the absolute worst time of my life.  Home is wherever you are.  You have my heart forever.

To my children:
You are the lights of my life.  You drive me crazy in the ways only a teenage boy and a preteen girl could do, but I couldn't have asked for more incredible children.  Your pure hearts, your compassion, your creativity and imaginations, your thoughtfulness and delight in the world around you make me so proud to be your mom.  My life would not be the same without softball games, band concerts and Minecraft conversations.

To my parents:
You are two of the best people I've ever known.  You have both suffered severe, awful medical setbacks and have handled them with dignity and grace, and unbelievable strength.  You love unconditionally and have shown me who I want to be when I grow up.  Thank you for raising me right.

To my brother:
I miss you.  I'm sorry that you've had a rough time.  I'm so glad I was able to see you last month and get a hug from my big brother.  You're the guy who first introduced me to football and the Dallas Cowboys (to my Hubby's delight).  You appreciate the novelty of Peanuts greeting cards even though we are not kids anymore.  You love my kids in the way only a fun uncle can, and I know you are here in spirit, even when you can't be with us.  I hope 2016 is your year.

To my BFF:
I promise to make more time for you.  Life has a way of going crazy, as you well know.  We've both been dealt the same hand.... a husband, two busy kids, cancer, moms with cancer..... but you've been the one constant in my life since we were 12.  I hate that phone calls and texts are all we have, because you are the most fun.  Your friendship is what I wish for every girl to have.  You "get" me.  We can talk every week or not talk for two months, and still we can pick up where we left off.  I hope we get our New York time in this summer (and maybe a concert!), but if not, we will have to figure out a time/place to visit.  I miss you.

To Sharon:
Ten years of friendship. Wow, we're getting old.  You are a true and faithful friend.  You have my back no matter what.  I can always count on you for a laugh, a hug and an entertaining story.  Life has its ups and downs, and even during the "downs", you make me smile. 

To Marti (and Emily):
I can't even begin to explain what your friendship has meant to me and my girl.  K and I were dealt a huge blow earlier this year, and you've helped us pick up the pieces by becoming our posse.  I love love love that K has a BFF who is sweet, fun, funny and who loves my girl as much as my girl loves Emily.  Thank you for being there for me.  Your hugs, your dugout duty in relief, your late night text conversations over things that amuse us..... the world could use a lot more people like you and I'm lucky I get to call you friend.

To the Lady Diamonds peeps:
You guys are my family.  Five years ago I never knew how important softball would become to me.  Your girls are my girls.  Their parents are my friends.  I love our team.  We have drama and fun, wins and losses, laughter and tears, and through it all, I wouldn't trade the Diamonds for anything. 

To Kim and Kala:
MOVE BACK!

To Shadow:
My faithful companion.... my world is a little dimmer since you passed on earlier this year.  You were a part of my life for 19 years.... almost half my life.  I couldn't have asked for a better kitty, and I hope you and Pumpkin are happy to be reunited.  You were the best and I miss you.

My son asked me earlier what I wanted for Christmas.  I told him I have everything I want, and I meant it.  I've been a cancer survivor since August 1, 2013.  I have a wonderful husband, fantastic kids, true friends, a loving family.  I get paid to work with my husband, who happens to be my favorite person in the world.  I have two amazing breast cancer support groups through which I've been able to meet the most incredible women.  I was able to see my mom get married, and walk my first 5k in Vegas (and eat gummy bears) with another wonderful friend, 

Life is good.  And I am thankful.
Merry Christmas to all of the blessings in my life.  I am rich because of you.
Now "Let It Be Christmas"




No comments: