Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Monday, September 28, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 759


I am battered and bruised, exhausted and running a fever from my surgery on Friday, so I feel a little bit like I was on the receiving end of an ass-kicking.... but I know that's only temporary.  This was - hopefully - the last time I will have surgery for anything related to breast cancer.

On our way to Dallas last Thursday Hubby asked me if I had to do it all over again, would I still choose to go through all that I have?  My answer then, and now (even hurting from surgery), is yes.

The easiest choice - physically - is to forego any reconstruction at all.  I knew that wasn't for me.  I didn't want to spend the rest of my life without breasts - not if I could help it.  I have a couple of friends who have not had reconstruction and they are perfectly fine 90% of the time.  I know I wouldn't be.

I could have chosen breast implants.  They still require surgery, but you end up with (hopefully) real-looking breasts.  After having tissue expanders in for almost a year in preparation for my reconstruction, I can say with all honesty that I'm very happy I don't have anything "foreign" in my body.  Even the softest implants are still just that - implants.  

The most complicated, intensive and time-consuming choice is to do reconstruction using your own body tissue (or "flaps" as they call it in the plastic surgery world).  That was my choice.  Dr T is a big proponent of natural reconstruction.  My surgery was long and complicated, with a grueling recovery.  I've had to have a couple of  revisions, and I developed an infection, which meant even more surgeries, and those have given me scars on top of other scars.  

Was all of this worth it?  Yes.  Because you know what?  I have the most real fake breasts I could possibly have.  And after twenty-five months of treatments and surgeries, I'm DONE!

No comments: