Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Kicking cancer's ass - day 625

So... I'm in the hospital.  It's a big, shiny new hospital (Clements University Hospital) in a big city.  These doctors and nurses have thousands of patients come through here... and they remember me???

My nurse last night saw me and asked if I'd had my mastectomy at the other hospital. She said she remembered me, and said "It was 2013 right?" (Actually 1/3/14 but close enough).  I jokingly asked her if she remembered me because I was a good patient or a pain in the butt patient. Ha!  She said she remembers me because I have the kind of naturally beautiful face that once you see, you remember. Wow.  Ok.  Considering I am in a lovely hospital gown with bed head hair and bandages and no make up, that was quite the compliment.

Then Hubby tried to get in on the action by saying "I've been trying to tell her that!"

So just a little while ago, two residents from Dr T's office came by. When they walked in, the one doctor smiled and said "Hey - I remember you!".   Ok... In the grand scheme of things, in the Dallas medical community, I shouldn't be that memorable of a person, so I'm finding it a little amazing that these people who haven't seen me for months (or over a year!) and who see dozens of patients every day remember me.  

It says a lot about the level of care they provide here, and I will always be grateful that I chose to come to UT Southwestern. The drive is a pain and not always convenient, but I love my doctors (and their teams) so much.

I remember when they wheeled me into the operating room yesterday. They hadn't given me the feel-good meds yet so I was wide awake. I even moved to the OR table myself.  The anesthesiologists were on my IV side getting ready to put me out and the nurse was on my other side. I have a restriction on my left arm, which means they can't stick me, draw blood, take blood pressure or anything on that side. The nurse looked at my "restricted extremity " band and told me she would guard that arm with her life.  Then she stood close and rubbed my arm until the anesthesia kicked in. Not a bad operating room memory to have.

Dr T told me yesterday that he'd probably keep me here for three or four days, until the infection was totally cleared up. The resident who came this morning (who was with Dr T yesterday in surgery) said it looks a LOT better. She said Dr T wants me here on IV antibiotics until the redness is all gone, and then she said "maybe even tomorrow". Woohoo!  I'm not holding my breath, but it would be so nice to go home that soon.

I have little pain and more energy than I've had in weeks. Considering I had surgery a little over twelve hours ago, I feel good.  I think I got my kick cancer's ass mojo back.  Thank God.  That tired, wimpy, complaining Michelle was getting annoying!

Today's agenda is to rest, eat, rest some more and take a walk.  I think I can handle that.

No comments: