Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Friday, August 10, 2018

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1805


One of the singular most important people in my life was born on this day.  


Almost thirty-four years ago exactly, I met Trudy for the first time.  We sat close to each other in homeroom (alphabetically, only 1 person between us) and on that first day in seventh grade she became my best friend forever.


Trudy was the person I could always count on, my partner in crime, the little voice in my head, the definition of a true friend.  A lot of people use the term BFF about people in their lives, but for me, that's what she was.  It didn't matter if we saw each other every day or every other year.... we could pick up right where we left off as if nothing had changed.  Over the years, through moves and relationships, illness and parenthood, many friends have come and gone.  I have other friends in my life, good friends, and so did she.  But she was my BFF.




You know the friend who knows all of your secrets, and loves you anyway?  The one who skips school with you to drive to Wurtsboro for breakfast?  The one who is always up for a concert, a road trip or a midnight hamburger at the diner?  For me, that was Trudy.  


For most of our adult lives we have celebrated birthdays separately.  I can't even remember the last time we were together for my birthday or hers.  But we never failed to send cards and gifts, and spend several hours on the phone on each other's special day.  Trudy would have been 46 years old today.






Ever since I was a twelve year old seventh grader, Trude has been a part of my life.  We shared joys and heartaches, pizza and chocolate milkshakes.  We passed notes in school and even had our own little "language" like young girls do.  So many people knew and loved her, and rightfully so.  But for me, Trudy was the sister of my heart.

A picture is worth a thousand words.  That's Trudy on the left, me on the right.  She was a redhead, I'm a brunette.  We both had cancer, and didn't have to fight it alone.  I never wanted to share that with anyone, and I hate so much that cancer is what took her from me.  But Trudy showed us all how to fight, how to persevere, and how to accept fate with dignity.


I miss her every day.


Happy Birthday BAH.  I hope you're having some NY pizza, Pepsi, Reeses Cups and Jolly Cow in heaven.  💛



No comments: