Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1802


August is a strange month for me.

A lot of my favorite people were born in August.

My mom on the 5th
My stepdad on the 9th
My BFF on the 10th (that's going to be sad this year)
My brother on the 23rd
My BFF's daughter on the 28th

Three years ago my mom and her guy tied the knot on August 1st, which makes that a happy day.  But two years prior to that, on August 1st, I was diagnosed with cancer, which makes that a decidedly UNHAPPY day.

Four years ago (last week) my dad's life changed forever.  A heart attack and stroke that were both serious enough that we weren't sure he would even live....  While August is a milestone month for him now, too (because he's alive and relatively well four years later) it's also an anniversary of one of the worst days of my life.  Getting the call at work, hearing the doctor tell me I might want to "make plans", packing for a trip not knowing if I would need funeral clothes... Ugh.

Eight years ago this week, on 8/9/10, Hubby lost his mom to cancer.  My kids lost their grandmother.  I lost a mother-in-law I was lucky to have.  A giving, patient, loving woman was taken from our world too soon.

So I'm not quite sure how I feel about August.  Lots of good and lots of bad.... makes it a bipolar month for me!



I have decided that August will just be a month where I exist until September.  
September has a lot to offer:  cooler temperatures (hopefully), football, marching band, fall softball, etc.  When asked if she's ready for school, K always answers "Yes, but not getting up early".  I hear ya sister.  My kids definitely are ready for some kind of routine and a social outlet that doesn't come with an LCD screen, but my 6:15am Mon-Fri alarm is not my friend.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note, I finally (after six weeks!) spoke with Dr C about my lymphedema surgery yesterday.  I don't know what the hold up was, but I guess I pestered them enough because he finally called me.  The next step is to make an appointment to see him to go over the surgery, take measurements and photos, etc.  Then schedule my surgery.  

This will not be a cure... there is no cure.... but hopefully it will improve my lymphedema enough to be noticeable to me.  Any improvement in the size of my arm, the pain and the discomfort it causes, will be welcome!

No comments: