Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1224

Three years ago today I was over 100 days into my "kicking cancer's ass" journey.
It was a big day:  an eight hour bilateral mastectomy surgery that removed any cancer that chemo didn't kill.  It also meant that I would live the rest of my life without my breasts.  Even though I know it was necessary to save my life, it was still a very emotional day.

I had to laugh at some of my observations from that surgery.
This is from my blog post on day 129:

Things I've learned in the hospital:
.. It's not as fun being in the hospital when you're not having a baby. The only other times I've had a hospital stay were when I had my kids. Getting to hold a cute little newborn makes up for feeling pain and discomfort!
.. I do not like peas. I definitely don't like peas in chicken noodle soup! The food here is decent, but really... who puts peas in chicken noodle soup?
.. I have got to get me some of these inflatable leg pump things. They would go a LONG way toward helping my restless legs syndrome!! I love them. Think anyone would notice if they disappeared into my suitcase?
.. I hate hospital gowns. I was a thousand times happier once I got cleaned up and into my own pjs.
.. Having a mastectomy makes you feel like you bench pressed 500 pounds. Not that I know what that feels like exactly, but i imagine it's a similar feeling.
.. My hubby is an excellent caretaker. He has been phenomenal... right there to help me up or hand me my chap stick or get me a drink. I bet he's probably almost as exhausted as I am. I love him.
.. Sonic sweet tea is YUM, especially when you're extremely thirsty.
.. Nurses are very concerned with their patient's bathroom production.
.. Oral pain meds are not nearly as effective as the morphine pump.
.. Something about surgery made my hands swell and I haven't been able to put my wedding rings back on. This bothers me.
.. I thought I would be sad when I saw my incisions for the first time. I wasn't. I think of them as battle scars, and wear them proudly since I am kicking cancer's ass!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In these last three years I have gone through numerous "reconstruction" surgeries.  I find that word interesting.  Reconstruction has been a mixed blessing for me.  I don't regret any of it, even though most of it was HARD! I like looking like a normal woman in clothes.  I love that my doctor used my own tissue for reconstruction....no hard, cold implants to worry about.  But it's all an illusion.  I have very little feeling from my collarbone to my rib cage, all the way around under my left arm.  And I have scars..... so many scars.

However....


Cancer tries to hurt you.  Over and over.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.  But I'm here today, 1224 days later, strong and healthy.  I was stronger than cancer.

It's a new year, and while I don't make resolutions, I did read this tonight and loved it.  It's advice I need to follow.... all of it.  Here's hoping 2017 is another year that cancer leaves me alone!







No comments: