- If there was any question about why I do not like pop music, tonight explains it. Back in the day when I was a fan, pop music was Madonna and Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams and yes, Whitney Houston. Rock music was the Eagles and Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. I loved it all. Lady GaGa, Nikki Manaj, Bruno Mars, Foo Fighters... why are talent & success measured on a weirdness scale???
- Jennifer Hudson gave a stunning, emotional tribute to Whitney Houston. Not bad for an American Idol reject. Ha!
- Katy Perry is my hero. If I could rock blue hair and a curvy body in a painted-on gold outfit I would! (not really)
- I will miss Whitney Houston. I admit I haven't listened to her or even paid one bit of attention to her in many, many years, but her songs were a big part of my childhood and she was a beautiful, talented lady. Her Super Bowl performance of the Star Spangled Banner is my very favorite - ever. That her life ended up the way it did is such a tragedy.
- Glen Campbell is the ultimate rhinestone cowboy. Out of all the grandpa performances tonight, his was the most endearing. Sometimes, people, you have to know when you ain't got it anymore (McCartney, Beach Boys).
- Adele is the bomb. I don't live under a rock, so I know who she is and could even name a couple of her songs, but I can't say I've gone out of my way to listen to her. She was phenomenal tonight, though - a brilliant vocal performance which also happened to be one of the most NORMAL of the entire night.
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Music's biggest night
Some things I've learned while watching the Grammy Awards tonight: