Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, August 1, 2024

Kicking cancer's ass - day 3992

 


Eleven years ago on August 1st I heard the words "it's cancer". 

I have been a cancer survivor for almost FOUR THOUSAND DAYS!! 

My life was forever changed that day. Weeks and months of treatment and more than a dozen surgeries, plus ten years of anti-hormone therapy have done a number on me physically. But I am still here!!


About a week ago my daughter found out that she has the same breast cancer gene mutation that I have (BRCA2). It's not a guarantee that she'll get cancer, but she's very high risk for breast cancer & ovarian cancer, plus elevated risk for melanoma, pancreatic cancer and others. Shitty news to give to an eighteen year old right before she leaves for college, but we are going with the "knowledge is power" motto. We have an appointment with the genetic counselor today and once Kelsie turns 25 she will have yearly MRIs and be under the care of (my) high risk breast cancer doctor. The team at UT Southwestern saved my life, so it gives me some comfort to know that she'll be seen by the best of the best.

If you are the praying type, please pray for many, many cancer-free years for both me and Kelsie.

One side note:  Happy Anniversary to my mom and her hubby!
Another side note: Happy graduation day to Brooke (Jared's girl). She's officially an RN!!!

No comments: