Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1859

That moment when you are exhausted and you have a headache, so you start to head to bed earlier than normal.... and then restless legs kick in.


So since I'm up... and I'm annoyed, let's do some insomniac blogging. 

I took on a new role this week:  tennis mom.  Yes, I said tennis.


I don't know if I mentioned, but my daughter, who had never touched a tennis racket before P.E. last year, was placed in 7th grade competitive tennis.  As in.... they COMPETE.  You see, most beginners are placed in the beginner tennis class.  But that would be too easy.  My daughter aced her band audition last spring and made symphonic band for junior high.... which just so happens to be the same class period as beginner tennis.  Hence the competitive tennis thing.

You know what?  My daughter can compete!  I know they are placed against opponents with similar ability (or lack thereof), but still.  I've never watched a junior high tennis match, so I didn't really know what to expect, but I did not expect my beginner to take home second place in her very first competition!




Wimbledon it is not.... but maybe she found another sport that she'll enjoy.  
I do have to say that after years and years of being a softball mom, the tennis thing is a whole new ball game (pun intended).  

----------------------------------------------------------

My kids are smart.  Tomorrow marks the end of the first six weeks.  J's lowest grade is a 93 in US history (which was an 83 three weeks ago!).  K's lowest grade is a 90 in language arts.  They must take after their mom!  Jazz band, marching band, robotics team, destination imagination, softball and now tennis..... smart and well-rounded.  They make me proud.

----------------------------------------------------------

I have always loved to read, and ever since I was a teenager my genre of choice was romance.  Mock me if you will, but romance books give me all the feels..... AND a happy ending that's often missing in real life.  I am absolutely thrilled that two of my favorite series (Julia Quinn's Bridgertons and Robyn Carr's Virgin River) are being brought to the small screen.  I know it'll probably be like when a book makes it to the big screen:  the movie rarely lives up to the book.  But still.... after years of watching "who done it" crime shows with my hubby, I'm looking forward to some chick shows!

----------------------------------------------------------

I may have a slight addiction to stainless steel tumblers.  We probably have ten of them.  But I never ever go anywhere without a drink, and most of the time here in Texas a drink will stay cold for all of ten minutes.  My Yeti keeps my peach tea ice cold all day!  I've recently expanded this addiction to include stainless steel straws.  I was using silicone straws (to do my part in saving the ocean from plastic straws)... but then a friend introduced me to stainless steel drinking straws.  Oh.Em.Geeeeeeeeee.    You just thought a drink stayed cold in a Yeti.  Take a drink through one of those suckers and it is ICE COLD all the way to your mouth.  Yum.

----------------------------------------------------------

All of K's friends have been asked to Homecoming, but she hasn't.  In fact, the boy she likes asked one of her friends.  I can't tell if she's really not bothered by it, or if she's just being a good friend by supporting one of her besties.  Maybe it runs in the family.  This week is the Fall Dance for high school students, and my son and his group of band buddies are going to someone's house for a movie night instead.  I don't mind... he's hanging out with good kids.  I just wish he'd get a girlfriend so he maybe would care a little about getting a haircut or making sure his clothes match.  Ha! 

----------------------------------------------------------

K has a softball tournament this weekend and I'm very excited for it.  I always look forward to a weekend of watching my girl do her thing on the diamond..... but this weekend is MY tournament.  It is the seventh annual Hope for a Cure in honor of breast cancer awareness month.  Not only can I not wait to see my beloved Lady Diamonds play, but I am looking forward to seeing all of the teams in pink.  And it is very meaningful to be able to hand out the awards and thank them for coming out to play for a good cause.... MY cause.

Go Diamonds!

No comments: