Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1857


If you Google "lymphedema" and "fatigue" you might just be surprised at the results.

Many sites list the same information.... the same symptoms, the same treatments.  Lymphedema is not curable, but it IS treatable.  But who knew that this condition can sap your energy and make you feel as if you've run a marathon??

From the Medical News Journal:

Lymphedema symptoms include:

  • swelling of either a part or the whole leg or arm, including the fingers or toes, ranging from slight changes in limb size to severe swelling
    (My arm from below my shoulder all the way to my fingertips is swollen)
  • difficulty wearing jewelry or watches or fitting into clothes or shoes
    (I wear a silicone wedding band on my left hand.... that's the only jewelry I can wear on that hand.  Shirt sleeves are noticeably tighter on that arm.)
  • swelling in the head or neck
    (Thankfully I do not have this)
  • a heavy or tight feeling in the arms or legs
    (Yes yes yes yes YES! ) 
  • the range of motion of the limb is restricted
    (Between my mastectomy, radiation and now lymphedema, the range of motion of my left arm is atrocious.)
  • discomfort or aching in the affected limb
    (Aside from being self-conscious and so tired all the time, this is my biggest complaint.  My arm just ACHES.  It hurts when I wrap it.  It hurts when I don't.)
  • recurring skin infections
    (This is a serious complication with lymphedema.  Anything can cause it.... a paper cut, a mosquito bite, a scratch.... I have to be hyper-vigilant about the skin health on my left arm)
  • severe fatigue
    (I know it doesn't seem logical, but I believe this 100%.  I have insomnia and restless legs, which I know contribute to my fatigue, but I believe a big part of my depleted energy is because of the lymphedema)

As always, I could have it much worse.  While this is annoying and uncomfortable, there are more serious things I could be dealing with.  There are people dealing with much more serious cases of lymphedema!  Go ahead and Google lymphedema and then look at images.  I dare you. 


You will see people with limbs more than twice their normal size.  You'll see purple skin, skin infections, weeping wounds..... people who have it way worse than I do.  There's a chance that surgery could help me see some improvement. 

Too bad my surgery is still over three months away.  Three more months of dents in my skin, fat fingers, aching arm, compression sleeves and bandages.  And those things are expensive!!


I thought I was just old, menopausal and lazy.  Good to know that my lymphedema could be seriously contributing to my chronic fatigue.  Unfortunately having an answer doesn't automatically provide a solution!

No comments: