Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1437


August is a strange month for me.  If you've read any part of my blog over the last four years, you know that August 1st was d-day for me.  That right there should put this month in the crapper for the rest of my life.  Three years ago my dad was fighting for his life after a heart attack and massive stroke.  Seven years ago my sweet mother-in-law was days away from taking her last breath.

You'd think when I flip my calendar to August, I'd make sure I had an adult beverage in my hand.  But.... whenever I need inspiration for something to write about, I go back and read my blog posts from this day in years past.  And tonight, reading the post from 8/6/14 hit me almost like a blow, but not in a bad way.  More like in a reality check way.

Three years ago I wrote:

Last night I went to bed in tears, afraid I was seeing the last of my dad. Tonight I am going to bed with a thankful heart... for God giving my dad some peace and rest, for the nurses who are taking amazing care of him, for Marion who is most definitely standing by her man, for my mom and my brother who are with me as we watch over my dad and hope for the best, for my BFF who I saw today for the first time in a year, and for my Hubby who is giving me whatever I need.
Blessed, even in troubled times.


Blessed, even in troubled times.  When did I get so wise?  Even when life f**ks you over, God is always good.  
Most of my life I have been accused of being a dreamer and living with my head in the clouds (or in a book, take your pick).  After all of the things I've been through in my adult life, I call it something else:  finding the silver lining no matter how bleak things look.

August of 2010 was incredibly sad.  August of 2013 was the absolute worst time of my life.  August 2014 was the scariest time of my life.  But you know what?  There's always a silver lining.  


August 1, 2015 was a lovely, wonderful, romantic day.  My mom and her longtime love were married in a simple outdoor ceremony at one of her favorite places.  She and her hubby celebrate birthdays in August.  My BFF's birthday is August 10th.  My big brother's birthday is August 23.  BFF's daughter's birthday is August 28th.  My beautiful amazing daughter was conceived in August.  I have plenty of reasons to make this a month worth celebrating.

Before I know it, summer will turn to fall and life will go crazy.  Between work and school, band and football games and the ever-present softball, we rarely have a free minute.  So for now, I'm going to enjoy these last two weeks of summer vacation with my kids.  I'm going to soak up some sunshine, sleep late when I can, and try to talk my daughter out of making yet another container of slime.

Dog days of summer..... let's make the most of them.




No comments: