Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 188

Today I went for a check-up with my medical oncologist (Dr H).  It was just a routine appointment where they do labs for my various blood counts, check my vitals and then visit with the doctor.  Do you know what I learned?  My white blood cell count was good, I am no longer anemic, my weight stayed the same, and I was wearing a very pink hat.  Seriously.  Dr H said that about four different times during our appointment.  So I like pink, and yes, it was a bright pink hat.  I had more important things to discuss, but he was in a chatty mood, talking about prior patients claiming to have no stress yet being investigated for fraud and a lady that always wore neon orange socks to her appointments.  What in the world?  We waited an hour for this?

On a side note, I still have my port that they put in for chemo.  Since it's not being accessed for treatment anymore, I need to have it "flushed" every 4-6 weeks.  If you ever have to have a port, you'll need it flushed, so remember to pop a mint in your mouth when they do that.  I forgot one time and <gag>.  It's the strangest thing, but when they flush your port with saline, you can actually taste it somehow.  Even the mint doesn't completely disguise it, but it helps.  Thankfully I remembered today, and now I'm good to go for another six weeks.

As one of my friends said to me today, it would be nice to spend as much time with my children as I do with doctors!

One more thing....reading my blog yesterday where I mentioned a groggy, grumpy hubby made Hubby even grumpier, so I must apologize.  He was under sedation for oral surgery which is one layer above hell for him, so I'll give him a break and allow the grumpy factor.  Sorry Hubby!


No comments: