Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Saturday, August 1, 2026

Kicking cancer's ass - day 4722

 


Thirteen years ago today I heard the words "you have cancer". 

In some ways it seems like a million years ago. When I think back on all of the appointments, tests, scans, chemo, radiation, a dozen surgeries... it's bizarre to think I went through all of that. My body reminds me every day that yes, in fact, I did battle cancer. And I'm still winning.

I'm so very grateful to my team of doctors. The medical field and big pharma get a lot of flack, especially since COVID, but they truly saved my life. I was fortunate to find my way to UT Southwestern and have the dream team. If you are in Texas and need top-notch medical care, GO THERE.

Cancer is the gift that keeps on giving. One of the things it left me with is fear. I've never really been a fearful person, but after cancer, every little ache and pain makes you think "is it back"? Last year something showed up on my annual MRI and I had to go through all the things: mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy. It brought me to my knees.. Thankfully all tests came back fine - just scar tissue (Lord knows I have enough of that). 

When I was first diagnosed, my kids were young (11 and 7). I just prayed that I lived long enough to see them graduate high school. I passed that milestone, and now I get to see my daughter thrive in college and watch my son marry the love of his life in a few months. Hubby and I will celebrate our twenty-fifth anniversary in October. SO GRATEFUL.

Every day is a gift - that's why it's called the present. 
Make the memories. Take the trip. BUY THE CONCERT TICKETS!!! 

Enjoy your family and friends. I don't have a big circle, but I really have surrounded myself with the best people. Thank you to everyone in my life who has loved and supported me on this journey I never wanted to take.

Here's to another thirteen years... and then another! 


No comments: