Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Friday, February 1, 2019

Kicking cancer's ass - day 1979


One year ago, I sat in a pretty room in a pretty hospice house in a pretty Virginia town...it was a quiet, peaceful winter's night.  But all of that pretty can't hide the reality of what that house is:  a place where people go to die.

The girl who had been my best friend since I was eleven years old was lying in the bed in that room, ready and waiting for God to call her home.

I was leaving the next morning, heading back to Texas...back to my family, back to a job and kids and school and all of the things that fulfill my life as a busy mom.  But my heart just wanted to stay right where I was at that moment.

I think I sat by her bedside most of the night, unwilling to give up any of our last precious hours together, not even to sleep.  I held her hand, I fed her ice chips, I played music for us on my phone.  All the while I was trying to figure out how the hell I was going to say goodbye the next day.


Goodbye is one thing.  But this was GOODBYE.

I know she was ready.  She was tired, and her soul was at peace.

I'm still not ready.

It's been almost one year since I last saw Trudy's smiling face.  One year since she sang Happy Birthday to me for the last time.  One year since I heard "I love you Bah".

Time moves on.  Life goes on.  Grief lives on.

In ten minutes it will be my sixth "bonus birthday" since my very own d-day, which is amazing and fills me with gratitude.

It will also be my first birthday without my Trude, and that is amazingly sad.


No comments: