Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kicking cancer's ass - day 246

Today is radiation treatment #18.  I will have a total of 33, so that means I'm more than halfway.  Woohoo!  Some days I feel really good.  Most days I feel tired.  Some days I feel completely exhausted.  Now that I'm on the back half of my radiation schedule I can start to expect some skin changes.  A friend of mine who just went through it said the two weeks after radiation were the worst.  I'm not looking forward to that.  So far so good, though.  I just have a slight "tan" under my arm.  My BFF said her skin turned dark but never hurt.  I only hope I can be that lucky.

I've had a lot of people ask me what's next.  I don't have a lot to update.  I will see my medical oncologist after completing radiation and will start taking Tamoxifen again.  I started it in February but the doctors wanted me to stop it during radiation.  My hot flashes have actually been worse since I stopped it, so maybe going back on the medicine will help?  Either that or the warmer weather is making them worse.  That doesn't bode well since I live in Texas and it's freaking HOT here in the summer.  It was nice during the winter when I had a hot flash and could just step outside where it was cold!

I have appointments to see my doctors in Dallas in June.  I'll have an after-radiation follow-up with my surgical oncologist and plastic surgeon as well as a visit with my gynecological oncologist to discuss when we'll do my hysterectomy.  That's the next "procedure" I'll have, and I'm assuming it will be sometime this summer.  Any further plastic surgery for reconstruction will wait until the fall so my skin has plenty of time to heal from radiation.


Other than all of that, I'm just trying to take care of myself the best I can.... take my meds and supplements that are supposed to help me, eat right, rest and laugh on a daily basis.
Oh, and pray for my hair to grow faster.

No comments: