Welcome to my world

I am a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend.
I've learned that who you have in your life matters more than what you have.
Thank you for stepping in to my world!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Kicking cancer's ass - day 3

Did you know that a cancer diagnoses means instant insomnia?  I had no idea.  Since the day I was diagnosed (well, before that actually, since I discovered my cancer myself), I suddenly went from sleeping like a baby to being up ALL NIGHT LONG.  Now that I've had a month to digest all the facts and get used to the new "normal" in my life, I'm still having a hard time.  Last night was one of those nights... for some reason my restless legs syndrome was worse than normal.  I'm not sure if it's something in the chemo or the meds I'm taking, or just from laying around and resting so much.  If it wasn't a gazillion degrees outside, a walk would probably do me good!

Hubby laughs because he has become my drug supplier.  I have raided his bottles of xanax and ambien a little too often, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!  I ended up taking a stroll around my living room at 1am last night, eating a banana so I would have something in my stomach after taking my two new medicines.  That seemed to do the trick, because then I slept until 8:30am.  Bliss!

Today has been an ok day.  I managed to put away some laundry and get caught up on bills, while keeping my nausea at bay with medicine and an interesting variety of food.  I've taken tips and tricks I've learned from other cancer patients, but really I found that you have to discover what works for you.  I agree with them on the mashed potatoes (yum!) but disagree on rinsing with salt water (gag).  Biotene mouthwash has become my new best friend.

Since I already bragged on my hubby, I now have to brag on my friends.  I think the people who care about me have taken my diagnosis harder than I have.  My friends are MAD.  I hate it, but it's good to know so many people have my back.  My friends have sent me flowers and gift cards, a lovely "chemo bag" full of stuff I will need, a soft and snuggly pink blanket.... they have rallied behind me by having t-shirts made, watching my children when needed, and bringing food to my family this weekend so I don't have to worry about what everyone will eat.  I'm beyond grateful, and there are no words to properly express my thanks.

No comments: